1943 VIII Corps in European Theater of Operations 1945
VIII CORPS OFFICE OF THE ENGINEER & 665TH ENGR. TOPO. CO.
Published May 9th 1945
Size: 21.8" X 55.5"
A rare map of the European theatre of operations that depicts the battles engaged by the VIII Corps of the United States Army.
The VIII Corps was originally organized in November 1918 after the end of the First World War, and demobilized in April the following year. It was re-activated in October 1940 one year prior to the United States entering World War II in December 1941.
In the Second World War, the VIII Corps was finally made operational as part of the United States First Army when in landed in Normandy on June 15, 1944 under the command of Major General Troy Middleton.
The map depicts the movement of the VIII Corps on the European Continent starting from their base in Southern England to Utah Beach on June 15, 1944 as part of the Normandy Campaign that lasted from June 15 to August 1, 1944. These military operations include:
- The Brittany Campaign of August 1st to September 26th 1944.
- The Battle of Brest of August 18th to September 26th 1944.
- The Defence of Ardennes from September 30 to December 16, 1944.
- Phase I of the Battle of the Bulge that lasted from December 16, 1944 to January 1st, 1945.
- Phase II of the Battle of the Bulge that lasted from January 1st to February 2nd, 1945.
- The Battle of the Seigfried Line from February 2nd to March 8, 1945.
- The Assault Crossing of the Rhine from March 24th to the 26th, 1945.
- The Battle of Germany of March 8th to May 9th, 1945.the
The map also includes the sight of the VIII Corps and Russian Linkup of May 7th, 1945 near the Czechoslovakian border, as well as an image of the restricted memo of May 8th, 1945 from Major General Middleton announcing that the representatives of the German High Command had signed the unconditional surrender of all German Land, Sea, and Air Forces in Europe to the Allied Expeditionary Forces and simultaneously to the Soviet High Command on May 8th 1945.
The map of the VIII Corps in the European theatre of Operations most likely was produced as a commemorative piece for soldiers of the Corps following the Allied victory in the Second World War.