De Vaugondy Map, Royaume de Prusse et Prusse R.le ou Polonoise...
Robert de Vaugondy
Published 1748, Paris
Size: 7" X 8.5"
A rare and beautiful map of the Kingdom of Prussia showing the different administrative units of known as “circles” and “palatinates” of the Holy Roman Empire prior to its dissolution in 1806.
This map was originally issued in Robert de Vaugondy’s Atlas Portatif Unviversel et Militaire.
Robert de Vaugondy and other members of this illustrious family of mapmakers were one of the preeminent cartography firms of the eighteenth century. The Vaugondy’s were in fact descendent of another family of great seventeenth-century French cartographers, that of Nicolas Sanson. Sanson is argued to have began the "French school of cartography," with its greater attention to scientific detail in lieu of superfluous decorations and embellishments. The Vaugondy’s are deemed to have started leaving their mark on cartography when Gilles Robert de Vaugondy inherited the firm from his uncle, Pierre Moullart-Sanson, in 1730 and then shortly thereafter purchased the estate of Hubert Jaillot, another important cartographer associated with the French school of cartography.