De Vaugondy Map, Partie Septentrionale du Royaume de Portugal...
Robert de Vaugondy
Published 1749, Paris
Size: 6.5" X 8"
A rare and beautiful map of the Northern part of the Kingdom of Portugal. The map includes the Port of Porto and the mouth of the Douro River where Henry the Navigator embarked in 1415 on the conquest of Ceuta, in North Africa, and eventually onto the the explorations of the Western coast of Africa that led to the Age of Discovery.
This map was originally issued in Robert de Vaugondy’s Atlas Portatif Unviversel et Militaire.
Robert de Vaugondy and other members of this illustrious family of mapmakers were one of the preeminent cartography firms of the eighteenth century. The Vaugondy’s were in fact descendent of another family of great seventeenth-century French cartographers, that of Nicolas Sanson. Sanson is argued to have began the "French school of cartography," with its greater attention to scientific detail in lieu of superfluous decorations and embellishments. The Vaugondy’s are deemed to have started leaving their mark on cartography when Gilles Robert de Vaugondy inherited the firm from his uncle, Pierre Moullart-Sanson, in 1730 and then shortly thereafter purchased the estate of Hubert Jaillot, another important cartographer associated with the French school of cartography.